Compile libraries on Heroku with Vesuvius
Posted by Geremia Taglialatela on 01 August 2017
heroku run bash, compiling stuff on Heroku was painful, time consuming, and you needed a third-party cloud storage to move your compiled library in order to download it.
With Vesuvius, this is no longer the case. During the deploy, Vesuvius will run all scripts located in
/scripts/libraries and will move output files to a public directory.
- Clone the repo at https://github.com/tagliala/vesuvius
- Create a new Heroku application
- Set your buildpack to Heroku’s default Ruby buildpack
- Append the buildpack-ruby-rake-deploy-tasks to your buildpack list
- Configure DEPLOY_TASK environment variable
Deploy and navigate to your application’s root path.
All you need to do is create a bash script to compile your library.
This is an example for the GEOS library: